ezimove's answers to frequently asked questions

Q. What sort of company is and how is it different to Vero Insurance?                  
A. is an Underwriting Agent for Vero Insurance.  Vero Insurance New Zealand Ltd is an insurance company, and it underwrites all policies issued by ezimove.
Q. When does the insurance cover start and finish for goods in transit?
A.  It starts from the commencement of uplifting/removal at the place named in the policy, continues during the ordinary course of transit, and ceases on delivery at the place named in the policy. It is not necessary to get the exact date for when transit is to commence, because this may not be known at the time policy issued.  What matters is that a policy is issued on or before transit commences, at which point the transit date is pretty much irrelevant.
Q. Can a policy be taken out if the delivery address is not known?
A.  Yes, it is acceptable to show "TBA" (to be advised) in the street and suburb address panels of the quote, and the policy can be issued to show that.  However, it is essential you advise ezimove (email best but a phone call is OK) what the delivery address is to be prior to arrival of your goods in the destination city or town.  We will acknowledge the delivery address by email, and that response is to be kept with your policy in case you need to make a claim.
Q. When does it become necessary to pay for storage during a household removal?
A.  Goods are often placed in storage temporarily by a carrier during the normal course of transit. This is insured under ezimove’s Move NZ and Transit International Household Goods and Personal Effects policies, and there is no need to purchase extra cover during that period of “storage”. However, if you instruct a carrier to store goods for a certain period, or to hold back delivery to a date more convenient to you, then storage cover must be purchased. You pay for one month’s cover for each month or part month entered into.
Q. Can goods be insured for "storage cover" only?
A.  NO. There must be an insured transit with ezimove prior to goods going into storage, which will also cover them for delivery to their destination.
Q. Why must I select "storage cover" if I can insure them with my contents insurance company or elsewhere?
A. Because it is essential continuity of cover remains unbroken with the one insurer - covers transit in and out of storage plus during the period in storage.  If only the transit into storage is insured, should goods arrive damaged at destination, onus of proof would fall on the insured person to prove how and when the damage occurred.
Unwritten rule of insurance - never have two insurance companies covering the same property, even if policies appear to be insuring different risks.
Q. Can the period of storage cover be extended after policy issue?
A. Generally YES. The maximum standard period for storage insurance is 6 months, but may be extended upon application.  However, a higher excess effective from policy inception will apply. To maintain continuity of cover, goods in storage need to be insured right through until the date of delivery.
Q. Can goods in storage which have been insured by another company, or uninsured even, be insured by ezimove for the transit to another destination, be it in NZ or to an overseas address?
A. NO. The reason for this is because if your goods arrive in a damaged condition at their final destination, it is too difficult to determine when the damage occurred i.e. was it during the final transit, whilst in storage, or even earlier on the transit into storage?  For this reason, we strongly advise that all household removals have a single seamless policy to insure the transit from beginning to end, with storage included in between addresses.  That ensures no gap in cover at any time, so no arguments with insurers over when or where damage may have occurred.
Q. Can a vehicle, caravan, motorcycle, boat or personal watercraft be insured in transit within New Zealand?
A.  Generally speaking, no, because it is expected that standard insurance will already be in place for these items. However, cover can be considered in exceptional circumstances on application to
Q. How far ahead can a policy be taken out?
A.  Any period up to six months ahead. Even if the carrier comes earlier than expected, nothing needs to be changed, because it is the transit which is insured. The actual period of cover is not confined to a start date or finishing date.
Q. Can a vehicle or boat be insured under the same policy as household goods and personal effects if shipping in the same container?
A.  As a rule, NO. A separate policy is required for each "Type of goods" insured, because the premium rate for vehicles, caravans and boats are significantly cheaper than that for household goods and personal effects. However, for small or low value items not classed as household goods, we may be able to secure agreement upon application.
Q. If goods have been uplifted by the carrier prior to a policy being taken out, can the “transit date” be back-dated or insurance taken out to cover the move after goods have been uplifted?
A. The “transit date” appearing on a policy certificate cannot be back-dated.  However, if you contact us at and can confirm that there are no known or reported losses as at the date of your enquiry, the insurance may be able to proceed with a transit date subsequent to the uplifting of goods. Generally speaking, we are only talking a matter of a few days from the date of pick up and transit commencement.
Q. What if there is a delay between the transit date on the policy and when goods are actually uplifted?
A.  Provided the delay does not exceed four weeks, insurance is still valid for the transit. If the delay is likely to extend beyond four weeks, you should contact to advise when you expect the goods to be uplifted so that continuation of the policy can be confirmed.
Q. What if the carrier comes earlier than expected and/or before the transit date shown on the policy?
A.  No problem so long as an insurance policy has been issued by ezimove. Nothing needs to be changed, because it is the transit which is insured. The actual period of cover is not strictly confined to a start date or a finishing date.
Q. I can't enter the transit date - why is that?
A. If the date selector (calendar) isn't used and date is entered manually, it must show year-month-day ie. yyyy-mm-dd
Q. What relevance does the transit date shown on the policy have to insurance commencing?
A. The transit date shown on your policy certificate for one off policies should be the date you expect goods to be uplifted. It should be on or before goods are uplifted from your home or premises. However, the important thing to remember is that it is the transit which is insured. It is not strictly confined to a start date and a finishing date, and a delay of up to four weeks in uplifting the goods will not affect the policy.  Delays longer than four weeks should be notified and a new shipment date advised.
Q. How long can household goods and personal effects be insured for whilst in storage?
A.  Normally six months, and you pay one month’s cover for each month or part month entered into. Paying for storage within New Zealand or overseas does extend cover under the insurance policy whilst your goods are stored at secure premises.  Longer storage periods or extensions to the storage period for policies already issued will be considered on application to the company, but a higher excess may be applied. Please contact us accordingly.
Q. Why is it important to have a policy that does not include a “Pairs and Sets” exclusion?
A. The benefit to the insured customer is that if one piece of a pair or set is destroyed or damaged, the loss of value of the pair or set is taken into account as the basis for settlement.

Another example is if a 3 piece lounge suite is shipped and one chair is damaged needing recovering. If the same material cannot be found to recover it, then the policy will pay to have all 3 items of the suite recovered.
Q. In the event of "accidental loss, physical damage or destruction" occurring during transit, does the excess apply to each individual item damaged?
A. No.  Should loss or damage occur to both professionally and self packed goods, the higher excess will apply, but is only applied to the total claim.
Q. What excess applies on claims?
A. That depends on where you are moving to and what goods are insured and the insured value elected. 
>> For household goods moving within NZ: professionally packed NZ$100, self packed NZ$500. For DIY moving  (Limited cover only): a Nil excess.
>> For household goods moving from or to NZ: professionally packed NZ$250, self packed: a NZ$1,000 excess.
>> For goods kept in storage longer than 6 months, a higher excess will apply than stated above - could be NZ$1,000 as a minimum but can be up to NZ$2,000, depending on who packed the items insured and the otal sum insured.

>> For vehicles moving to or from NZ: the excess will be 1% of the chosen sum insured, with a minimum of NZ$500 if pre-shipment condition report completed and or photos supplied BUT 2% otherwise with aminimum of NZ$500. 
    However, for vintage, classic or limited edition vehicles, special terms will apply and so customers should contact ezimove for individual consideration anfd premium calculation.

    For caravans, motorcycles, personal watercraft, boats & boat trailers moving to or from NZ: 1% of sum insured with minimum of NZ$500.

    For general cargo moving within NZ, you can chose between Nil, NZ$250 & NZ $1,000 excess.  For general cargo moving to or from NZ, Nil excess applies.
Q. What does the term "each and every claim" mean?
A. Quite simply, it is possible to apply more than one excess to claims for goods in transit.  An example of this is where a table or piece of machinery is dropped and something gets broken.  During the journey but at a different time, the damaged goods also suffer from water damage. This is a clear example of two independent causes of damage.  However, the application of more than one excess to household goods in transit happens very infrequently, as it is difficult to separate out multiple causes of damage.
Q. How long do I have to make a claim?

A.  There is no set period in which to lodge a claim. However, the policy contains a clause that reads:
Avoidance of Delay - It is a condition of this insurance that you will act with reasonable dispatch in all circumstances within your control.

The right to recover from a carrier in NZ is proscribed by NZ law under the Carriage of Goods Act, and notification of a claim must be lodged against a carrier within 30 days of the transit. No recovery is possible for damage caused by a carrier in NZ, if an advice of possible claim is not lodged within 30 days.

For international transits, the Bill of Lading or Airwaybill will specify the time period allowed for lodging a claim. This is commonly a lesser period than 30 days.

In the event of a claim, it is incumbent on every insured person to act without unreasonable delay so that the insurer is not prejudiced.  Any visible damage to cartons or boxes apparent on arrival should be the subject of immediate inspection and claim lodgement. If there is no apparent external damage to boxes etc but goods subsequently found damaged, then just lodge the claim by calling Vero Marine on the toll free number provided in the policy certificate.

Q. How exactly are items to be valued on a "replacement less depreciation" basis?
A. There is no precise science to this, but here are 2 Examples to illustrate how to do it.

Example 1: A 12 year old lounge suite. Start with what it would cost to buy an equivalent suite now - say $3,000. Then say it has a 25 year lifespan. The current value now (often called the indemnity value) would be the cost new of $3,000 multiplied by 12 divided by 25 = $,1440. In short, determine the lifespan of an article, the cost new and apply the simple formula above to arrive at the depreciated value.

Example 2: A 60 year antique chair or item that holds its value. Use the current value of the piece being what it would sell for with a willing buyer and willing seller.  If you haven't got any possessions in this category ie. items that hold their value over time, then use the formula in Example 1.

You can use both methods when valuing what is to be insured.
Q.  What does the word “Warranty” mean when used in a policy?
A.  It is a promise by you, the breach of which discharges the Company from liability from the time of that breach.
Q. Can goods that collectively exceed the sum insured limit (usually $250,000) be covered?
A. In most cases the answer is YES, but please email with details of your requirements so we can provide a definative answer.
Q. (Condition of Average clause explained) What happens if household goods are under-insured?  Will I get a claim paid in full?
A.  If there is a total loss, the maximum that can be paid out will be the sum insured.  The uninsured value above the sum insured will be for The Insured person to bear.  For partial losses, both Move NZ and Transit International Household Goods policies contain an "average clause".  Under NZ law, the average clause must be described as follows:

If at the time of loss or damage The Property Insured is collectively of a greater value than the total sum insured then you shall be considered as being your own insurer for the difference and bear a rateable share of the loss accordingly.

Declared Policy Sum Insured: $10,000                  >> The claim is calculated as follows:

Claim Amount:                           $1,000                      >>$10,000  x  $1,000

Actual Value of Property:         $20,000                     >>$20,000          1                    = $500 amount payable, before policy excess 
                                                                                                                                            is deducted

Q.  Moving insurance within NZ, Option 2 - Restricted cover, includes cover for burglary from a professional storage facility or securely locked vehicle.  Does Option 1 - Full cover, provide cover for burglary?
A.  Yes it does, because under Option 1 - Full cover, it insures against "accidental loss, physical damage or destruction of The Property Insured", and does NOT exclude burglary.
Q. Can household goods shipped internationally be insured for "Total Loss Only"?
A.  No. Our experience from actual losses sustained by customers over a 5 year period demonstrate that every claim without exception fell outside the definition for "Total Loss Only" insurance.  "Total Loss Only" insurance is commonly defined as "loss as a direct result of fire, flood and/or accident to, or overturning of the conveying vehicle".  However, losses up to the full sum insured do occur for reasons other than those defined above, usually as a result of poor packaging. Some well known international carriers in our experience have been amongst the worst offenders with regard to not packing customers goods adequately (in the container), which in one instance led to a customer being paid out the full sum insured of $250,000.
Q. Can houses be insured for transit within NZ by ezimove?
A. No. We recommend would be customers contact their insurance broker or existing house insurer for specialised insurance for this.
Q. Policies insuring General Cargo asks customers to select between "Fragile" and "Non Fragile".  How are these terms defined?
A. These terms are not defined in the policies and common sense has to be applied.  Glassware, pottery, and delicate machinery such as large computer servers or specialised digital printing machines should be classified as fragile.  Standard PC's, office furniture, dry goods and the like would be non fragile.  Our recommendation is that if in doubt, ask us first before insuring.

Q. Tell me more about Vero Insurance.
A.  Click here to connect to the Vero Insurance website.

Q. Can anyone get a quote or buy a policy without registering to become a member?
A.  Yes - anyone anywhere in the world can do that.  However, every person obtaining a quote is automatically registered as a Member after supplying their email address and personal choice of password.  This is so users can easily locate previous quotes or view policies issued, by logging in under the Members section.
Q. Can laptop computers or other carry-on baggage be insured under the same policy as the rest of our household goods and personal effects being sent separately?
A.  Regrettably no.  Carry on baggage needs to be be insured under a travel insurance policy, with laptops noted as a specified item as necessary.  Alternatively, if you are permanently emigrating and you don not have a travel policy, we recommend you take out a personal contents policy, in the country of destination, as soon as possible after arrival.
Q. Can an interested party be noted on a policy?
A.  Yes. An interested party can be noted by endorsement to the policy wording.  Just advise the details please and we will handle that for you.
Q. Can the exclusion for loss or damage caused by mildew be removed from a policy?
A.  In certain circumstances, yes.  On application, we will consider the request.  If granted, an extra premium of 20% may apply, but this % could vary.
Q. What is a "Marine Cargo Open" policy?
A.  A Marine Cargo Open policy is the agreement between a merchant and the insurance company to insure all goods in transit within that agreement for an indefinite period, until the agreement is cancelled by either party.

The policy specifies:
> the general description of the goods
> the countries or places to or from which the goods will be insured
> the maximum value payable under the policy
> how the goods will be valued
>the conditions of insurance.

The merchant agrees to declare details of all shipments falling within the scope of the policy and the insurance company agrees to insure such shipments according to the terms and conditions of the policy.

Insurance Council of New Zealand - Marine Cargo Open Policy Handbook.

If you have a question or enquiry not answered above, please click here and submit it for us to answer. Thank You.

We provide shipping insurance for household and other goods in transit 24/7, with a service guarantee for claims.

About Us

Contact Us

Because we operate 24/7, we can best respond to email enquiries. We also have phone lines available on our contact us page.

Contact Us